Updated: Jan 6
The world of flavored simple syrups can even include nuts. Our favorite? Hazelnut! It could add complexity to any chocolate or coffee cocktail.
How to do it?
- Choose desired nut. (Hazelnut, walnut, macadamia, pecan, the list goes on and on.)
- Roast nuts on a baking sheet at 400 degrees until they become fragrant and begin to take on color.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- If the nut has a shell (like hazelnuts) grab a handful and rub the nuts together till the shell falls off. Don't stress too hard about getting all the shell off.
- Give nuts a rough chop, don't chop the pieces too small.
- In a small saucepan mix 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water until the sugar dissolves.
- Add 1 cup nuts to mixture, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Simmer 10 minutes, turn heat off and let cool 10 minutes.
- Strain syrup into airtight container with cheesecloth, if necessary.